Saturday, May 31, 2014

And so my journey "Strait to Health" begins!!



My name is Amy.  I am a wife to my wonderful hubby, Eric!  This year we celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary!!  WOW!!  I am also a mommy to six (yes, 6!) awesome kiddos - 4 girls, 2 boys, ages 3 to almost 13!!  Again, WOW!!   We live in beautiful, lovely Western Michigan with our two dogs, two cats and two birds!!  I am very blessed!

 I am 44 years old, and here's the less than "wow" part... and I weighed 221 lbs. a week ago!  :-/  I am currently healthy (other than my weight); I do not have diabetes or high cholesterol or any other serious chronic health issues that plague our society.  HOWEVER, I know that if I continue down this path of drinking pop/soda, eating food that is not especially healthy, and not exercising, that I will certainly succumb to diabetes or worse (the dreaded "c" word - cancer!  EEK!!). 

For quite some time I have been regularly following blogs through my FB page where I have learned so much about the problems with our food system today - GMOs, meat full of antibiotics and raised in less than humane conditions, artificial sweeteners, chemical additives, etc... I have learned so much yet have only taken some of the easier changes:  eliminating a lot of prepackaged foods, cutting down on pop/soda, making many more items at home from scratch,  eliminating chemical cleaners, etc.. BUT there is still so much more that can be done. 

I have recently felt very convicted by the verse, "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." - Luke 12:48b  Because I have learned so much, I know that I need to act on it but also need to share it.  I am getting much more serious about my health partly because I want to be healthier but mostly so that I can make a positive impact on my children's health by modeling and teaching healthier choices; I want to be have a good quality of life as I age.  So, this blog will chronicle my journey to health - Strait to Health (I love the play on words!). 

My primary goal here is to share what I am doing, what I am learning, and how I am progressing; this is mostly for accountability, but I also hope that maybe I can inspire just one person to make changes that they need to make as well or maybe just motivate them to keep going with their own journey.  I don't have any particular weight loss goals; although right now I would just like to lose enough weight that my Wii no longer says, "Oh, that's obese!" when I weigh myself!  :-) 

So, if you would like to follow me on my journey, I would love that!  Share your tips and ideas for things that you know/do, send along a message of encouragement if you feel led, and scold me if you see me drinking pop or see me in a drive thru at a fast food restaurant  (no, seriously, you have my permission). :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment