Tuesday, July 1, 2014

What is your Nutritional Type?

Did you even know that you had a nutritional type?  No?  I didn't either...



According to Dr. Mercola, there are three main nutritional types:  Protein, Carb, and Mixed.  Those who are a Protein type can eat high-quality proteins and fats freely but need to be careful with carbs.  Those who are a Carb type freely eat high-quality carbs but need to be very careful with protein and fats.  And, finally, those with a Mixed type are blessed with the ability to tolerate both carbs and protein as long as combined appropriately. 

Perhaps you already know how your body responds best - either to protein, to carbs or equally well to both.  However, if you would like to take a little quiz to see for sure, go to this page and there is a yellowish-colored box on the right hand side of the page about a quarter of the way down that will take you to the quiz (the rest of the info on this page is great as well, so be sure to read through all of what's there).  You need to merely enter your name and email address (so they can email you your results) then go right on to the quiz.  Once you answer the 20 questions, you will find out your nutritional type as well as be able to download a food chart with the best foods for your type as well as a file called "Healthy Recipes for Your Nutritional Type."  This is more than just a cookbook; the first 50-ish pages have a lot of information about the research behind nutritional types as well as additional tips and ideas for each type; then there is approx. 250 pages of great recipes. I learned a lot from both of these resources and will likely refer to them often!! 

Just from the basic information I read, I was pretty sure that I was a protein type.  I have learned through each pregnancy that my body doesn't do well with carbs plus in the past month I have tried very hard to keep my carbs in check (especially white flour, white sugar, white rice, etc.) to keep my insulin levels balanced.  By focusing more on quality protein, healthy fats, and a variety of veggies, I find that I feel great, don't crave pop and sugary foods, and am satisfied longer after meals.  The quiz confirmed this but then also gave me lots of resources for good food combinations, meal suggestions, etc.  I am glad I took the time to do the quiz.

So, what nutritional type do you think you are?  I encourage you to take the quiz and grab the great resources that go along with it!  Let me know what you think!

Stay healthy my friends...






No comments:

Post a Comment